The quality of freezer paper that deer processors and butchers use will help preserve deer meat longer and ensure a fridge full of venison for up to a year. Using premium paper is very important and will extend freshness about three months longer than standard grade freezer paper, which preserves meat for 6-9 months.
Here are some tips to preserve deer meat properly:
- For greatest freshness, wrap the meat tightly moisture-proof premium freezer paper, such as Sentry Top Guard Premium Freezer Paper, overlapping the edges and pushing out air bubbles out as much as possible.
- Then wrap packages and seal the freezer paper with tape, ensuring all edges are completely sealed to prevent freezer burn.
- Write the date of processing on the paper and note the specific cut of meat in each package.
- Try to freeze meat in meal size quantities and by type of cut.
- Store the packets in the freezer at a 0 degrees F in a single layer.
- Freeze no more than 4 pounds per cubic foot of freezer space within a 24-hour period.
Using premium freezer paper will make dear meat last for up to a year when cared for and stored properly. We also offer freezer paper in a camouflage print to help distinguish the meat in the freezer and enhance the presentation of wild game.